Sunday, March 24, 2013

ಐದು

For my Wellness class (basically gym), I have to write a paper on wellness and Christianity. I've been contemplating topics and I think I'm going to write about how the Sabbath fits into the pursuit of wellness.

Jeremiah 6:16 says, "Thus says the Lord: "Stand by the road, and look, and ask for the ancient paths where the good way is; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls." I have been busy for a lot of my life, but I have never been as busy as I have been in college. It feels so weird not to be worrying about a test, or going to a game, or having a meeting. On Tuesday/Thursday mornings, I like to wake up early and go eat breakfast by myself. I like to catch up on the Bible and enjoy a little personal time to myself. It's hard to ever be alone here, but being alone is revitalizing for me and refreshes me, as does reading my Bible.

Even if I try to get all my homework done, there is always more that I can do. What I need to do is have a Sabbath. In the Bible, the Sabbath was on Saturday and was a time to reflect and not do physical labor, but to work out your salvation. With our busy society and a busy college life, many people, myself included, simply don't set aside any time to do nothing. It's so hard with the list of things we have to do, the thoughts running through our heads, the pressure that college brings. However, I need to keep the Sabbath.

The Sabbath is a rest for people. It's an opportunity to get away from the pressures and stresses of life and simply enjoy the relaxation and God's presence. Exodus 31:17 says, "[The sabbath] is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed." In the grand scheme of things, the things we are doing pale in comparison to creating the whole universe out of nothing. And even God rested and was refreshed.

Resting and having a Sabbath is good for everyone's well-being. Not only do you become physically refreshed, you can be spiritually and mentally refreshed. I hope to write more about this as I flesh out my paper.









No comments:

Post a Comment